Tuesday, January 27, 2009

What's New

I decided that since Alice is almost 4, it is time for her to start doing a chore. My friend Jeanie suggested putting away silverware, so we gave it try yesterday. She was really in to it for the first few minutes, but after a while she said, "this is not really that much fun." I tried not to laugh, but it was so funny. She got it done with minimal help. I think it's the perfect job for her.


Recently Alice has been very interested in what's next. She often asks me to go over the schedule for the next few days. I decided it was time for her to have a calendar. I made strips with each day of the week and pictures of the activities we do every week (e.g. school, art class, church, Sunday night dinner). I made an arrow with sticky tack on the back that she can move to the appropriate day. I also made pictures of special activities (e.g. party, playdate, movie) that can be added and removed.

I also made a countdown to her birthday. Each day she moves the sticker to the next number.


Yesterday was the start of the Chinese New Year Celebration so we made a flag collage. I cut up little pieces of red paper and Alice glued them on a piece of paper to make a flag. After the flag was complete, she added little stars that I cut out.



Will did a little crafting too. He was in to coloring for about 2 minutes. Of course that is his attention span for just about everything, so I consider the activity a success.

No comments: